|News Blurb: Trial Account Changes, Sept 28th, 2012|
The process for Trial Accounts is changing. We will no longer be auto-banning trial accounts at the 2 week mark. Instead those trials will continue to be playable, and we are eliminating the application requirement for a player's first (human) character. There will remain some restrictions on trial accounts, such as not being able to rent a home, but otherwise trial accounts can continue to play their trial human character for as long as they like. We will continue to require applications for non-human and additional characters, or those who wish their trial human slot upgraded to a full slot so they can rent a home.
|Installing UO||Important Fiction||Applying to Grimmwold||Setting up Chat|
A note to those looking at this and going: OMG! It's not worth it!!!
For those of you who have not regularly played on custom shards, I can see how the idea of being restricted to a certain client and having to download a lot of extra files would seem "not worth it". Before you close this screen and walk away, take a moment to consider what these files mean: custom map, brand new art work, brand new buildings, brand new colors. We are a heavily modified shard and we feel we have made the extra steps truly worthwhile. If you are looking for something different, something special, something you've not seen in UO before, then take a deep breath and give it a try.
For those of you who have not done this before, I am going to summarize the general steps involved in installing what you need to play. Further details and troubleshooting are below. Feel free to use navigation on right. >>Vista Users should begin with Step 5 first<<.
- Download the ML client - You have to use Mondain's Legacy version of UO client and its ONLY available online from here. More ...
- Download OUR grimmwold-all.rar file and unzip all of the files INTO the UO directory directly, not another folder or sub-folder. We have a normal site for files and a mirror site if you have problems. More ...
- (Optional) Get Razor,a UO assistant program, for ease of game play and macros. Also UOAMa great tool for Sailing around the map of Grimm. Just unzip and set the map to Malas after pointing it to your installation of UO with the Grimmwold Files.
- Vista - If you use vista there are extra steps. More ...
That's it, Three Basic Steps: Two downloads (1 install and 1 .Rar) and a program to run. Then you should be able to login!!
Having trouble? Come in to our IRC room and ask for help, and also read on for more on the above, written out, in more detail=)
Trouble Installing? Helpful Hints
- It is best to use Internet Explorer when downloading from the main site. However the mirror seems to work fine with other browsers, such as firefox.
- We suggest you use WinRar 3.51, not WinRar 3.60 beta.
- Also, there is a known issue when downloading from the main site that seems to cause corruption to the files, specifically statics. This seems to be a problem with our host, and until we switch hosts, there isn't anything we can do. If you have this problem, please use the mirror. If the mirror is not available, re-downloading the files from the main site seems to fix the problem.
- Another tip, if it errors, is to download each of the files individually. This is sometimes best anyways if you are on dial up for time's sake due to the size of some of the files.
- If you are using Windows XP, it may help to set the Grimmwold client to run in Windows 98 compatibility mode. Right click on the client file, select properties from the pop-up menu, then change the compatibility mode setting in the list box to Windows 98.
- Multiple Shard Set Up
- If you are having trouble downloading our files from both the main and mirror sites, a download manager may help you. A good, free one is Orbit
- Come into the IRC room. No really, we mean it! If you have any problems at all, there are people there virtually 24 hours a day that can help you with your issue, or who can get you in touch with the proper people to solve it. (It is also an important part of the community interaction, you should come in even if you don't have any problems.)
Step 1 (required) - Mondain's Legacy
Download ML - You will need a clean UNPATCHED copy of Mondain's Legacy to play on Grimmwold. Mondain's Legacy is only available for download. UO Gold and the 9th Anniversary Edition will not work.
Using Razor is optional, but highly recommended. We suggest you get a copy of Razor to play on the shard.
Step 2 (required) - Login Information
- The login.cfg file IS included in the grimmwold-all.rar file below and you SHOULD get a copy from there all set up. However, we provide the details here in case you need them.
- Edit your login.cfg file to contain this: LoginServer=comraich.dyndns.org,5002. Your file should look like this: Make sure you put a ; (semi-colon) in front of all other lines except the last one for comraich.dyndns.org
;Loginservers for Ultima Online ;Do not edit this file or patching will fail! Always save a backup. ;LoginServer=login.owo.com,7775 ;LoginServer=login.owo.com,7776 LoginServer=comraich.dyndns.org,5002
UPDATE: If you are using Windows 7 as your operating system, then this is how you get everything to run correctly. Many players have an issue with Razor in Windows 7 where the error message about the .net Framework and the entire game with Razor is buggy. To correct this issue:
- 1. Go to Computer. Click the C:/ and go into your main program files, whether it is Program Files, or Program files (x86). Go into the EA games folder and then into the Ultima Online's Mondain Legacy.
- 2. Scroll down until you see "client-4.0.11c" and right click on it to get to the properties. Go into the Compatibility tab,click to run the program in compatibility mode for, and choose Windows xp service pack 2. Then near the bottom, make sure that "Run this program as administrator" is checked.
- 3. Back in your Program Files, or Program Files (x86), go into the Razor file and do the exact same thing as in step 2 with the Razor application. XP Service pack 2 compatibility, and Run as administrator. You should have no problems after this.
If you do, feel free to come into IRC to chat with staff about it.
Step 3 (required) - File Downloads
You MUST install the files into your UO directory.
Grimmwold Reawoken ALL file - This contains all the files you need.
- Updated: August 27th, 2012 12:30 AM CST
- Contains files copywritten to Portals Interactive Entertainment.
We are no longer using the verdata patcher.
Step 3a (alternative) - File Downloads Mirror
If you are having problems with the downloads from our site, then please download from the Downloads Mirror.
Step 4 - Error Checking
Alright if you are having problems. Please go thru this list of checking to make sure that you have doing everything properly.
Step 5. LOG IN! :)
SERVER IP: comraich.dyndns.org
Please check server sub-forum for updates.
Logging in without Razor
You should have a custom client interface called client-4.0.11c.exe in your Grimmwold folder. Search for it and double-click. Do NOT use the default client.exe, or you will hang at "Verifying Account." Using client-4.0.11c.exe. You will see Electronic Games' "Samurai Empire" Splash screen for a few seconds, and then our custom log-in screen with a sleeping woman.
Logging in with Razor
If logging in using Razor (You can also launch client-4.0.11c.exe from client directory, but its not advised as some players have problem launching without it...and also Razor can be quite useful):
1. launch Razor
2. UN-check "Use OSI Encryption and Check "Patch Client Encryption"
3. Set the following in the data fields you see:
Load Client field => Your UO client directory
UO Data Directory => Your data directory, usually in a writeable drive. If your character needs a ton of reagents and you have Windows 7 its advised you edit security permissions in Windows to have writeable ability in your UO Client folder, and then just set this path to the client directory. This way, it avoids a strange bug in which the re-agents bar does not properly show up.
Having trouble? Come in to our IRC room and ask for help, we don't bite! Welcome to Grimmwold :)
For Build Shard
If you need to get on the Build Shard, go here Build Shard.